NYSED has issued Guidance on New York State’s Annual Professional Performance Review Law and Regulations.
Included in this guidance are guidelines for the locally selected assessment portion for evaluation:
- Assessments from list of State-approved of third-party-developed, State, or Regents-equivalent assessments
- District-, regional-, or BOCES-developed assessments whose rigor and comparability is verified by the district or BOCES;
- School-wide, group, or team metrics using State assessments or a district, regional or BOCES-developed assessment;
- Student achievement on State assessments, Regents examinations and/or Department approved alternative examinations (AP, IB, SAT II, etc.) or,
- Structured district-wide goal setting process with any State- or other school- or teacher-created assessment agreed to by an evaluator and teacher.
Districts are required to use a NYSED approved rubric for teacher evaluation. The approved list of rubrics will be available July 2011. Districts may apply for a variance to use a rubric that is an adaptation of one of the approved rubrics, a rubric developed locally, or a provider not on the list of approved rubrics.
Read the full document here:
For additional information about how APPR will impact your district, please contact Dr. Valerie D’Aguanno, assistant director of Curriculum, Instruction and Technology.